jueves, 17 de febrero de 2005

Death of a Professor

This morning I learnt about the death of one of my Professors at LSE, Claudio Ciborra. Two years ago, Professor Ciborra taught us about an Institutional Economics perspective on Information Systems. He has a book, Teams, Markets and Systems, which I painfully read. It was one of the books that I've found harder to read in my life, even harder than Sakurai's Quantum Mechanics one. I guess it was then when I realised that social sciences can be far more complicated than "science".

I could spend hours with just three or four pages of the book, writing down schemas, underlining sentences and linking concepts in mind maps. I don't know if I ever got to understand anything, but his insights are still in my mind, somewhere, waiting to be re-thought and applied to some research I will have to write someday.

The first day of class, Professor Ciborra said he wouldn't use Power Point in his classes: he would do it the traditional way: voice and a piece of chalk and a blackboard. He taught us about the metaphore of the "Armani glasses", and urged us to read Ronald Coase's paper on The nature of the firm.

Really, that's not what I expected from an Information Systems class. But in the end, after months of work, it all made sense, and I understood what Professor Ciborra meant. And it makes me so sad to think that in the end, it all makes sense in life as well. Life is senseless.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario