sábado, 29 de mayo de 2004

Genius

I love Oscar Wilde. He's my favourite writer, although I have only read one book by him, The Portrait of Dorian Gray, and some short stories. And the transcripts of his trials, absolutely amazing. He really drives the judge crazy.

The other day, I was maybe quite harsh with a friend who is writing a novel. Actually, I was not harsh to my friend, but I harshly (can't find an alternative adjective, sorry)expressed my disrespect for novels. I said novels are just useless when you can transmit the same ideas/images/feelings in a shorter time with a film or with a short story. That novels are just great for editors, because they make a book they can sell. Plus, their structure is constraining and fake. I don't know. Maybe I was just exposing my frustration when it comes to writing I novel. I simply can't. I even got to the point where I cannot even write a short story or a script for a short movie (btw, I finally didn't finish the script, so bye bye trip to New York :( ) I can only write for this blog.

Well, all these was to end up saying that the reason I like Oscar Wilde, and particularly his novel The Portrait of Dorian Gray, is because at every page you find an amazing thought. A sentence by OW can have you thinking about it for the whole day (once I told this to my dad, and he replied, quite rudely, "well, even 15 year olds read it and have no problems understanding it"... at that particular moment, I started thinking that maybe I am not like my dad, that maybe I shouldn't be like him, at all... the thought has only become truer with time) OW just turns your world upside down. This is what I call a genius.

These days, thanks to joaquin again (I won't link him again, not today!), I started reading queer blogs, and I'm liking it. Reading queer blogs is a good way to get into the queer world, maybe. But what I like is precisely that I didn't find a queer world. I just found intelligent people writing intelligent things. Of course, this doesn't mean all gay people are intelligent and write intelligently. But it had never ocurred to me that gay people can be just intelligent people writing intelligent things. Don't get me wrong: it's not that I thought they are stupid. It's simply that I never approached them the way blogs allow me to. I never read about what they do/think/like, the problems/advantages they might have, the way they see some stuff. So from now on, when I think of a gay guy, I will remember the image I got from these couple of blogs I'm reading, Ethno-queer and Queer(eco)logy. Believe me, it's much more edificating than all I learnt about gays from the society I live in.

Ok, to end this mind-rambling post (how much I love the "rambling on my mind" blues, i just find the title so great) I will say:
1) I started writing this post after I read this sentence at Queer(eco)logy: "heterosexuality is an acceptable alternative lifestyle".
2) The sentence reminded me of Oscar Wilde.
3) Oscar Wilde reminded me of his great novel The Portrait of Dorian Gray.
4) This in turn reminded me of my harsh words about novels.
5) Somehow, everything together suggested me a thought about my experience reading blogs written by gay people.
6) The post was so hectic that I wrote a list of six elements to guide you through my mind-rambling.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario